Total Pageviews

Friday, February 11, 2011

Forgive me readers, for I have not posted in two months

It has been almost two months since my last posting. I will not make excuses, or bore you with multiple reasons why. Whether I have excuses or not does, not change the fact that I was negligent in my duties, and promises to provide a quality blog, with quality information, and stories about caring for someone with Alzheimer's disease. Speaking of which Bill is doing well for the most part.

Christmas was good for everyone, we spent everyday for about 3 weeks leading up to Christmas explaining over and over again why we have not opened or delivered the Christmas presents yet. This involved saying "Bill, It is not Christmas yet, we still have 3 more weeks, 20 more days, 17 more days, etc." over and over again several times a day. However, I will say I have not seen so much hype and anxiety about Christmas from anyone since I was a kid, than I did with Bill waiting for Christmas.

Christmas came and went, we ushered in a new year, crowned a new College Football champion, survived NFL playoffs, and watched a fairly good Super Bowl. We witnessed it snowing 4 or 5 different times here in Alabama which is a very uncommon ordeal. It has to be that Global Warming Crap all the Democratic Doomsayers have been crying and lying about for so long. Oh wait, it is no longer Global Warming since that was proven a lie, now it is Climate Change! Oh well, don't get me started on that mess.

Back to Bill, we bought a new exercise bike that he can get on and ride, and has been doing extremely well on it. It is a recumbent bike, so he is able to sit in it very much like a chair and start pedaling. Much better than the exercise bikes with the traditional bike sit that is equivalent to getting a daily prostate exam. His first day on the bike he struggled to go .30 miles. Yesterday he did .75 miles traveling about 9 miles an hour. He is proud of himself and I have noticed him walking a little bit better, at first he was reluctant and did not want to do it, now he talks about wanting to do it, and wants to beat what he did the day before. We were originally going to purchase a treadmill, but he Doctor advised against it and suggested the bike, and I wanted the bike for my big ole . . .Never mind.

Our biggest struggle as of late has been with Bill's ability to use the bathroom. We still have to tell him every single time where the bathroom is (and I do not expect that fact to change). But now, Bill is urinating down the front of his pants when he goes to the bathroom, we are finally convincing him to sit down to urinate now, but now he either fails to tuck towards the water and ends up urinating over or under the toilet seat and into his diaper and pants that are around his ankles on the floor. For the past week or two he has been sitting down to go, but when he is done, he will pull his pants up, and leave his diaper down around his knees, and comes to me to fix it for him.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with their charge? What did you do, did not do? I have thought about some type of scotch guard water proofing the front of his pants, but have not tried it yet. It is embarrassing for him, he knows he is doing it, but can not remember any suggestions or help we try to provide. He knows that he forgets to pull his diaper up, and pulls his pants up first, but he will still do it every time. He knows he urinates down the front of his pants but still does it.

I would appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, remarks, tips and advice. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment